Topeka officials have announced that large portions of downtown will be closed in preparation for the annual St. Patrick’s Day celebrations taking place this weekend. The city has advised residents to plan ahead and expect disruptions in traffic and transportation.
Streets to Be Closed:
On Saturday, March 18, the following streets will be closed completely:
- S. Kansas Ave. from 1st to 10th St.
- SW Jackson from 4th to 10th St.
- SW 10th St. from Kansas to Jackson St.
Timeline of Events:
The city has also released a timeline of events for the St. Patrick’s Day weekend:
Friday, March 17
- 3 p.m. – Celtic Fox closes WB 8th from Jackson to Kansas
- 6 p.m. – Celtic Fox closes EB 8th in some places
- Overnight – Celtic Fox leaves EB 8th open overnight
Saturday, March 18
- 9 a.m. – Celtic Fox closes EB 8th, Parade and 5K begin to close the route
- 10 a.m. – 5K race begins
- 11 a.m. – 5K race ends
- 12 p.m. – Parade begins
- 1:30 p.m – Parade ends, Irishfest moves to close Kansas from 6th to 7th
- 3 – 4 p.m. – Irishfest reopens Kansas Ave.
- 10 p.m. – Celtic Fox street party ends
Sunday, March 19
- 1 a.m. – Celtic Fox reopens 8th St.
Residents are advised to plan accordingly and use alternate routes to avoid the closed areas. The city has also asked for everyone’s cooperation in making the event a success.
The St. Patrick’s Day celebrations are an important tradition in Topeka, and the city is proud to welcome residents and visitors to join in the festivities. However, it is important to remember that public safety is of utmost importance, and the road closures are necessary to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.